- U.S. reinsurers posted a painful 108.8 CR through nine months, vs. 96.6 a year ago, the RAA reported.
- PMI Group, parent of the mortgage insurer, filed Chapter 11.
- A 50% writedown of debt from Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece and Spain would wipe away one-fourth of the shareholders equity of European insurers – so sez Swiss Re.
- Hurricane season ended. No major storms, but a major bummer in Irene. More here.
- Massachusetts became the latest state to ban using credit scores to set auto insurance rates.