I spend less time on health insurance issues these days, but:
- Both Obama and his political foes want the Supreme Court to rule on Obamacare’s constitutionality next year, so it probably will.
- Employer-based health care costs rose 9% this year. The New York Times reports a family of four will pay $15,000 this year, according the the Kaiser Family Foundation report.
Elsewhere in Insurance Land:
- Workers comp frequency rose 3% last year, the first increase since 1997. My take is here.
- Nationwide Insurance buys Harleysville Insurance.
- U.S. insurers are starting to report the extent of their Q3 cat losses. The tab so far: $1.3B before taxes, from reports by Allstate and Chubb. Separately, State Farm reports that it has paid more than $5B in cat losses in all of 2011.